We have developed this kit to expand the Y axis of your Prusa i31 which increases the printing area to 20 x 30 cm. What´s more, the Y axis is now more robust and easier and faster to assemble. You can check all the changes on the GitHub project repository.
To expand it simply follow these steps:
- Print off the new parts that you will need. Download them here.
- Assemble the new Y axis following the steps in the diagrams. Pay attention as you will need to reuse some of your printed and non-printed parts.
- Upgrade the firmware for the new printing area. Instructions at the end of this post.
Attention! Do not dismantle your printer until you have printed the new parts.
Bill of Materials
In this diagram you will find all the parts of the expansion kit. The parts marked with a blue circle are included in the kit. The parts with an orange circle need to be printed. The parts with a grey circle are to be reused from your current printer.
Acrylic bed and glass printing surface
The rods have been internally drilled with M4 threads. This enables them to be screwed in directly to the front and rear aluminium mounting plates. Consequently the assembly is made easier, the rods are shorter and the printed corners are not required anymore. The nylon washers serve to eliminate structural tension caused by variations (or tolerances) in the length of the rods, and also to absorb vibrations (and noise).
Front and rear aluminium mounting plates
|These parts are a derivation of the PowerCode 3 and GalaCC 4 equivalent parts. They have been modified in order to screw in the rods (previous versions used printed parts for assembly). These plates have been designed for 4 mm aluminium.||
Aluminium Rear Plate
Your current firmware may be configured to limit the Y axis length to 200 mm. You will need to upgrade the firmware in order to be able to print on the full 300 mm of your new bed.
- You can upload the firmware using Cura 3D5. This video explains how to do it.
- If you prefer, you can configure and compile your own Marlin6 for Hephestos please follow this link to the GitHub repository or download the source code.
- If you have a customised Marlin version and want to keep on using it, just modify these parameters on the Marlin Configuration.h file.
// Travel limits after homing
#define X_MAX_POS 200
#define X_MIN_POS 0
#define Y_MAX_POS 300
#define Y_MIN_POS 0
#define Z_MAX_POS 180
#define Z_MIN_POS 0
- Prusa i3 3D printer
- Hephestos 3D printer
- PowerCode 3D printer
- GalaCC 3D printer
- Cura 3D 3D printer
- Firmware for Marlin 3D printer